Forestry Club carries on tradition of Faurot Field Christmas tree sale

The Forestry Club has been selling Christmas trees on Faurot Field for 30 years.

The Forestry Club hosted its Christmas Tree Sale on Friday at Farout Field. The sale is an annual tradition that has taken place in each of the last 30 years.

“A few professors that I talked to thought we had been at the stadium for over 30 years and they thought we sold downtown a few years before that,” Tree Farm Manager Ashley Owens said.

The trees sold are not grown by the Forestry Club, but are purchased by the group from both local and distant farms.

“We ordered them from two different farms,” Owens said. “We bought the Fraser Firs from Shady [Rest] Christmas Tree Farm in Glendale, N.C. and the others from [Starr Pines] in Boonville.”

Owens said they sold two types of trees, Fraser Firs and Scotch Pines.

“Pine needles are much longer with a pointed tip,” Dave Haberl said. “Fir needles are flatter and have two shades. The Firs also have more blisters in the stem which hold resin, so if you squeeze them, it comes out.”

Forestry Club President Denean Brady said people seem to prefer the Frasier Firs, because they are more attractive trees.

The trees come in all different sizes ranging from four to approximately ten feet.

“The largest fir was eight to ten feet and we had some six to eight and four to five foot ones as well,” Haberl said. “The pines were sold five dollars a foot and we had those ranging from four to around ten feet.”

Haberl said the trees sold quickly.

“When we shut down on Sunday, we had about forty six trees and we started the sale with 211,” Haberl said.

Owens said the Christmas Tree Sale has been popular with Columbia residents and is the primary fundraiser for the Forestry Club.

Brady said the club started selling the trees last weekend, and will continue through 8 p.m. Sunday.

All proceeds from the Christmas tree sales will go to help the Forestry Club participate in competitions and tournaments.

“All of the proceeds fund our timber sports competition,” Brandy said. “The Midwesterners Collegiate Conclave is at Purdue this spring and there are about twelve schools who go to compete on the collegiate level in events like the cross-cut saw, underhand speed chop, chain throw and all kinds of logger and forestry type sporting events.”

Forestry Club Treasurer Peter Noble said they also attend Ozark Regional Timberfest Challenge in Doniphan which is a regional event that schools from Wisconsin and other places come too.

Brandy said there are about thirty-five members in the club and the majority has helped out with the sale.

“We make sure that someone is there all of the time, but we do have one requirement,” Haberl said. “Anyone who is competing in the conclave has to work at least eight hours.”