CPR training proves useful for fraternity members

Delta Sigma Phi brothers used CPR training to save three distressed strangers.

Sophomore Mike Mouser was spending the weekend with some friends in Mark Twain residence hall earlier this month when he heard a girl come out into the hallway, screaming. One of her friends had been drinking and had gone into shock.

Mouser had undergone CPR training just a few weeks prior as a requirement for his fraternity, Delta Sigma Phi, and was quick to respond and use his training to do chest compressions and CPR on the intoxicated student. On his third set of compressions, the student came through.

“I was really scared," Mouser said. "I was nervous, just making sure he was OK.”

The student, who was a complete stranger to Mouser, did not know where he was but was able to get to a sound condition.

“I didn’t even get his name, but I felt pretty good about myself, especially after recently receiving that training,” Mouser said. “I don’t know how to explain it any better than that.”

The idea of offering CPR training to Delta Sigma Phi members was inspired by one of the pledges who has diabetes, Delta Sigma Phi president Kyle Broyles said. The fraternity’s executive board thought active members should have an understanding of his disease and how it affected him.

So in early August, the fraternity teamed up with the American Red Cross to undergo training of over 60 members. “We hadn’t really anticipated on using it,” Broyles said.

But that changed within a few weeks of school.

Since the CPR training, members of the fraternity have helped three people in distress. One incident took place the Saturday before school, when fraternity brothers were at a fellow brother’s house off campus when an intoxicated stranger walking through the subdivision fell on the curb. The fraternity brothers were able to flip him over and get him into a position where he could breathe, and called 911 to take him to the hospital.

“That was just a stranger we helped, but he ended up being OK,” Broyles said.

Broyles had first-hand experience helping a critically injured teenager who fell at a restaurant off-campus and was not breathing. Broyles performed CPR until the paramedics arrived.

“It was kind of weird,” Broyles said. “I hadn’t really expected to use the CPR training, but it was a really good feeling when I did get to use it. It was really a gratifying experience, knowing that out of all the people around you, you were the one certified to handle the situation."

Delta Sigma Phi executives plan to host an annual event with the Red Cross to train new members and refresh older members, Broyles said.

“We’re also going to talk to Nationals and possibly have every Delta Sigma Phi Chapter in the nation do the same thing,” he said.

“At first, I thought CPR training was a thing I just had to sit through, but after using it in everyday life -- it was a good thing to learn,” Mouser said. “You never know when you’re going to have to use it.”

The incident has also caused the School of Journalism to train some staff members in CPR, as well as look into installing defibrillators in the buildings, said Brian Brooks, associate dean of Undergraduate Studies and Administration at the School of Journalism, in an e-mail. Brooks is an alumnus of the Delta Sigma Phi fraternity.

“Just knowing that you helped someone else, it’s a really rewarding experience,” Broyles said. “It’s worth it to know that your knowledge was put to saving someone else’s life."