Curators to discuss budget, programs

There is a high demand for graduates in healthcare.

A new bachelor of health science degree program will be one of the topics discussed at the UM system Board of Curators meeting Thursday and Friday in Memorial Union.

The board will also go over the system’s fiscal year 2009 operating budget.

The board’s committee meetings will begin Thursday at 9 a.m. with the student affairs committee meeting.

The main order of business will be to discuss the possibility of adding a new bachelor of health science degree program for UM students.

“The reasons the program’s being considered are two-fold,” said Kristofer Hagglund, the School of Health Professions associate dean. “First, there’s a significant student demand for this program. Second, there’s a huge market demand for students who graduated in health care.”

After the compensation and human resources meeting, the finance committee will discuss the operating budget for the university in the upcoming fiscal year.

Thursday’s meetings are expected to wrap up at approximately 2:30 p.m., according to the meeting agenda.

Friday’s proceedings will start with a presentation on research of economic development by Board Chairwoman Cheryl Walker.

System President Gary Forsee’s report will follow, after which each chancellor will give his or her own regular report with the exception of UM-St. Louis Chancellor Tom George, who will present his report Thursday.

The board will then vote on any issues raised during Thursday’s committee meetings.

A press conference will end the board’s two-day meeting at approximately 12:30 p.m. The board's next meeting will be held July 11 via teleconference.