Deaton, Scroggs meet with students

Deaton answered questions regarding veteran and sustainability issues.
Billy Froeschner, Mizzou Student Veterans Association vice president, converses with Chancellor Brady Deaton on Monday in Memorial Union. Froeschner relayed ideas for sustainability improvements at MU.

Chancellor Brady Deaton faced questions dealing with student veterans and sustainability at an event called Meet the Chancellor on Monday.

The event, held at Memorial Union, welcomed students to meet one-on-one with Deaton and Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Cathy Scroggs.

"I like to make myself accessible," Deaton said. "It's important to hear all the issues students bring up."

Scroggs said the date, Presidents Day, is helpful because of the heavy traffic of prospective students.

"We did this last year on this day and it worked well," she said.

Billy Froeschner, Mizzou Student Veterans Association vice president, asked Deaton about the problems facing student veterans.

Student veterans cannot get credit for military experience, Froeschner said.

"For example, some things that require special training in the military can easily transfer as a science course," he said.

Froeschner said MSVA is working to bring that issue to light. Citing Columbia College as an example, he said other schools accept transfer credit for military experience.

Froeschner also said his financial aid adviser was not aware of all the options available for veteran students.

"It resulted in a $1,300 negative balance that was not necessary," he said.

Deaton said that is not something he and his staff have talked a lot about, but if there is federal aid, it needs to be tapped into.

"We hope that the office can sort through these quickly," he said. "We are sensitive to those issues."

Froeschner also asked Deaton about sustainability in relation to energy consumption and littering.

"I am alarmed at how many lights are left on," he said. "I try to turn off the lights specifically in Strickland."

Deaton said there are several reasons why they're on.

"The other thing is the janitorial staff," he said. "Sometimes they leave lights on so they know which rooms they need to clean."

Froeschner also propositioned Deaton to drive around tailgating areas the day after a game.

"It really sickens me, the amount of littering at tailgating," he said. "We essentially invite people to get drunk and drop their trash."

Environmental Science Club President Thomas Stokely also approached Deaton about sustainability issues. Stokely said there is an extreme amount of trash buildup, and he thought it came from tailgating.

"I don't know if that means there needs to be more regulation, but something needs to be done at the source," he said. "There should be more incentive for people to not litter."

Deaton said it's an issue of getting sustainability into MU culture.

"So many of those issues are bound in the culture," he said. "Most faculty and students have a good sense of how beautiful this campus is."

After the event, Deaton and Scroggs discussed important points students brought up. Deaton said he will bring up key issues at his weekly staff meetings.

"Sustainability is a common interest," he said. "We would need to follow up and explore to see if there's a better way to deal with that. "

Deaton said the event was fun and a good way to meet the students.

"It's nice to see so many students coming and their obvious love for the school," he said.

Froeschner said Deaton was open to opinions.

"He was there for listening," he said. "I'm hopeful these little seeds I've planted will help Mizzou in the long run."