Details surface on ESPN’s College GameDay visit to MU

Gameday's main set will sit in front of Jesse Hall and The Columns.
Seniors Bart Coslet and Kirk Lakebrink celebrate the 30-9 victory over Texas A&M on Oct. 16 at Kyle Field in College Station, Texas. ESPN's College Gameday will come to MU for the first time Saturday as the Tigers take on Oklahoma.

In an e-mail to MU News Bureau staff Monday, MU spokeswoman Mary Jo Banken released details on ESPN’s College GameDay’s visit to MU this week. Banken said the information was drawn from a meeting with the Athletics Department.

ESPN cameras will be placed on the north side of Eighth Street Circle to allow the cameras to face Francis Quadrangle, The Columns and Jesse Hall, and vehicles will be parked alongside Eighth Street, Banken said in the e-mail.

Staff members for ESPN’s College GameDay will arrive Wednesday and build the set Thursday while utilizing offices provided by the School of Journalism. On-site preparations are scheduled to begin at 4 a.m. Saturday.

"They will get us list of places they would like to film by Thursday," Banken said in the e-mail, referring to ESPN staff members.

Possible locations include Memorial Union, the MU Student Center and the Student Recreation Complex.

Banken said university administration and Athletics Department officials expect students will camp out on the Quad early Saturday morning, but MU hopes they won’t begin to arrive until 2 a.m. Banken’s e-mail also specifically mentioned that no political signage will be allowed on the Quad, where students will gather behind the College Gameday set.

"A line with the first 200-300 students will be established to be right behind the ESPN desk," Banken said. "Otherwise the Quad is open to everyone."

According to the e-mail, the MU News Bureau plans to notify fans that ESPN’s College GameDay will be from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. Saturday and that parking lots will open at 7 a.m., but drivers will not be allowed to leave campus once parked. Tiger Walk, the march that members of the Missouri football team take part in before each home game, begins at 4:45 p.m. at Providence Bridge.

In an e-mail to students, the Athletics Department announced the Tiger Scholarship Fund reserved donor lots and surrounding lots near Memorial Stadium will open at 7 a.m. RV lots open at 6 a.m. Friday and 7 a.m. Saturday.

"There will be no "pass-outs" allowed or re-entry into the lots once you have parked," the e-mail stated.

In her e-mail to MU News Bureau staff, Banken said she will meet with University Affairs staff Monday morning to further discuss ESPN’s College GameDay’s visit. Tickets are still available for both hillside seating and general admission.