Facebook adds CampusBuddy to compete with Pick-A-Prof

The new free application resembles sites like Pick-A-Prof.
Megan Decker / Graphic Designer

Today marks the full-launch of CampusBuddy, a Facebook application that serves to provide social networking and grade distribution information for college students nationwide.

Following the styles of other grade transparency tools like Pick-A-Prof and RateMyProfessors.com, CampusBuddy uses official school records to offer more than 80 million university grades at hundreds of campuses, according to the CampusBuddy news release.

Unlike Pick-A-Prof and RateMyProfessors.com, CampusBuddy is available exclusively on Facebook.

"It is a student-built platform made to empower and help students socialize and make important educational decisions, and all of the resources are free," creator Michael Moradian said.

Moradian said the idea of CampusBuddy came three years ago as a result of his frustration over the lack of resources available for students to make their education choices.

"Grading, in particular, seemed so mysterious at times," Moradian said. "It often bothered me, and many others I know, how often the choice of a certain professor or class was just as important as the work put into it."

After adding the application, users need to enter their school's name and class to access CampusBuddy's features, which include grade distribution histories, social networking and professor reviews.

Searching via department, course number or professor, users can find grade distributions for their current or prospective classes.

"By taking the mystery out of grades, it makes it easier to focus on what truly matters - learning," CampusBuddy's news release stated.

This feature, though, is nothing groundbreaking. MU students can find their professors' grading history on the University Registrar's Web site. The Registrar's grade distribution moreover contains records for every professor while CampusBuddy does not.

Moradian, however, said the real key is social networking.

Its interface echoes the older version of Facebook, which allowed users to have a single profile page where they can see all of their friends within their school's network.

"For the first time, since the early college days of Facebook, a student can log in to Facebook and connect with all of their classmates and friends from campus," Moradian said. "It is also a great and simple way to see other people around you, on campus, online."

In the CampusBuddy news release, Moradian said he wanted "to re-emphasize the campus networks and communities that originally drew people to Facebook as well as provide students with the resources that will enable them to be successful in their college careers."

Freshman Maegan York said she will probably not use CampusBuddy for social networking.

"There are other resources that are less confusing," York said.

Schaller also said she does not plan on using the application for social networking.

Sophomore Zack Aldrich does not have a Facebook account, but he does see the appeal of CampusBuddy. The social benefits of the application, he said, are not worth creating an account.

"I mean, I could get the same information from the Mizzou Web site without having to register a Facebook page," Aldrich said.

As of midnight today, 35 people within the Missouri network had added the CampusBuddy application.