Fisher inspired joy, compassion

Pre-journalism student Tracy Fisher died Oct. 19.

On Tracy Fisher's 19th birthday, there was no cake or ice cream. But there were candles -- 19 of them -- lit by Miss Fisher's friends and fellow students Tuesday at Hillel in remembrance of the freshman who died Monday.

About 100 people attended the service to share memories of Miss Fisher, who collapsed Monday morning while crossing the intersection of College Avenue and Rollins Street and was taken to University Hospital where she died. An autopsy performed by the Boone County Medical Examiner's office later revealed a blood clot traveling from Miss Fisher's leg to her lungs as the cause of death.

Junior Rachel Levin helped lead the service at Hillel, where MU counselors were on hand. Levin said she would remember Miss Fisher for the joy she brought into the lives of her friends.

"She just knew how to make everything that seemed so serious and wrong seem happy," Levin said. "She just brought so much happiness into my life and I will miss her."

Miss Fisher was active in Hillel, Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi, a Jewish sorority, and the Jewish Student Organization and was a reporter and designer for The Maneater.

Laurel Fisher, Miss Fisher's mother, said her daughter had numerous other plans for getting involved on MU's campus.

"She wanted to be a Summer Welcome leader, a tour guide on campus, a lifeguard at the Rec Center and talked about getting involved in the theatre department, choir and club volleyball," Laurel Fisher said. "I told her to take things slow when she first got to college, but that just wasn't her style."

Miss Fisher served as the editor for her high school's newspaper at Richardson High School, near Dallas, and stayed active in her temple's youth group, as well as in the theater magnet and school choir. Laurel Fisher said her daughter had planned to go into magazine journalism after graduating college.

Mark Fisher, Miss Fisher's father, said his daughter's ambitions went beyond what she planned to study in college.

"She obviously planned to graduate with a degree in journalism, but she also always said she wanted to work with children as a youth group adviser as well," Mark Fisher said.

Miss Fisher is survived by her older brother, Jacob, and younger brother, Ethan, as well as by her father and mother. Her funeral took place 10 a.m. Thursday in Dallas. Laurel Fisher said the family has a network of family and friends that has helped them through the last few days.

"We have a close-knit, strong community and family that have been helpful," Laurel Fisher said. "Also, I've been reading posts on Facebook that Tracy's friends have been putting up, looking at pictures and just thinking about the kind of person she was."