Forsee: 'We're on top of' conference realignment issue

The UM System president said MU has a record of loyalty to the Big 12.

UM System President Gary Forsee refused to comment on rumors of MU's possible conference realignment but said university officials have the issue under control after the Board of Curators meeting around 6 p.m. Thursday.

The curators, the university's governing board, began their meetings at 9 a.m. this morning, in wake of the University of Colorado's official announcement of its move to the Pac-10 conference.

"I know there's been a lot of speculation today about conference realignment," Forsee said. "Colorado’s move has a big effect on the Big 12. We won’t feed any speculation, but rest assured that we are on top of this. Rest assured that MU is going to continue to be important on a national stage, despite whatever happens.”

Forsee said rumors regarding conference realignment have gained too much attention in the past few days.

“The Big 12 dissolving is total speculation,” Forsee said. “Colorado’s move is the only fact we have at this point.”

The UM System president also refused to comment on rumors of Nebraska moving to the Big Ten conference.

“I haven’t seen the comment from Nebraska,” he said. “I’ve seen a lot of rumors about it, but I haven’t seen the comment itself.”

Forsee closed by reaffirming MU's "history of loyalty" to the Big 12 conference.

“We have been loyal members of the Big 12,” Forsee said. “I don’t think we need to justify our loyalty.”

Chancellor Brady Deaton said the Big 12 is far from dead, despite Colorado's move to the Pac-10.

"The Big 12 is certainly well," Deaton said. "We're just minus one right now."