Freshman collapses, dies Monday

Tracy Fisher was an involved resident at College Avenue residence hall.

An MU freshman collapsed on College Avenue on Monday morning and died later in the day at University Hospital, MU Police Department Capt. Brian Weimer said.

University Hospital spokeswoman Mary Jenkins confirmed the student was Tracy Fisher, an 18-year-old resident of College Avenue residence hall and member of The Maneater staff.

Weimer said the collapse occurred in the crosswalk at the intersection of College Avenue and Rollins Street.

"It happened at around 10 a.m.," Weimer said. "She collapsed and was sent to the hospital where she passed away. We suspect no foul play."

In an e-mail Monday, College Avenue residence hall coordinator Benjamin Micek notified residents of a meeting on the hall's third floor to discuss Fisher's death and provide counseling services for students.

"Tracy was an active member of the College Avenue community and will be missed," Micek said in the e-mail.

Freshman Elise Oggioni, who lives on the hall's third floor, attended the meeting and said students were told the cause of Fisher's death had yet to be determined, but there would be an autopsy performed either Monday night or Tuesday.

"At the hall meeting at 4 p.m. they told us what had happened and gave us a chance to share anything we might know about the situation," Oggioni said. "There were counselors from the MU Counseling Center there in case anyone needed to talk to them. They basically told us that it was OK to be sad about this."

Oggioni said Fisher's birthday being Oct. 20 was brought up at the meeting.

"Tracy's birthday is actually Tuesday and a few people brought up possibly holding some kind of remembrance for that," Oggioni said.

Fisher was a pre-journalism major and a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi, a Jewish sorority, Oggioni said.