Friends and family remember freshman Dariana Byone

Byone was a health science major with an emphasis in athletic training.

Courtesy of Dariana Byone's Twitter

Dariana Byone, an MU freshman, died over fall break. She was 18.

Byone died of natural causes the day before her 19th birthday. She was majoring in health science with an emphasis in athletic training, and she lived in South Hall.

Byone was from Dallas and was a dance major at Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing and Visual Arts, according to a Facebook post by the school.

Friends and family took to Facebook to remember Byone. They posted pictures of her and videos of her dance performances.

“The worst part of teaching...the WORST PART...is hearing that students and fellow teachers you love have died unexpectedly,” Byone’s former teacher Jody Pendleton said. “As I said earlier tonight, we love these people and kids so much that we invest in them emotionally.”

Kindle Kelley, a friend of Byone’s, started a GoFundMe page to help the family with funeral costs. According to the GoFundMe post, Byone was a hard worker with a pure heart.

“Dariana knew how to make anyone and everyone laugh, smile and just feel loved,” Kelley wrote. “It is such a shame that she was taken from this earth at such a young age.”

The GoFundMe page had raised almost $17,000 by Tuesday night, surpassing the $15,000 goal.

Friends from her high school gathered for a candlelight memorial Friday evening. The viewing will be Dec. 2 from 6-8 p.m. in Lewisville, Texas. Her homegoing celebration will be at 11:30 a.m. Dec. 3.

Edited by Emily Gallion | egallion@themaneater.com

GET SOCIAL