Graduate student remembered for natural ability

Scott Davey died July 9.

Graduate student Scott Davey mastered whatever interest he set his mind to, friends said.

Mr. Davey died Thursday in his hometown, Cincinnati, Ohio, as a result of gastro intestinal problems and after a lifetime of battling medical conditions that affected his liver. He was 32.

The graduate student was one year away from earning a doctorate degree in philosophy.

“Scott was what I would call a true Renaissance man,” his father, Tom Davey, said. “He was a gourmet cook, he loved his vegetable garden and he was an avid fantasy football fan.”

Tom Davey said many of his son’s hobbies varied from time to time.

“He was the kind of guy who took an interest in something until he mastered it, and then he would move on,” he said.

Matt Reidy said he had been a friend of Scott Davey for 20 years, ever since junior high school, and he was perhaps the smartest person he’d ever met.

“Everything came naturally to him. There was nothing he couldn’t do if he really tried at it,” Reidy said. “After three piano lessons, he could sit down, pull out a sheet of music and play it perfectly the first time through.”

Reidy said Mr. Davey won the Cardinal Open, a statewide Ohio chess tournament, one year after learning the game.

“Anything he did, he poured his heart and soul into it,” Reidy said. “In junior high, he had never had a single art class, but he just sat down and drew a picture of Albert Einstein with chalk that you would’ve thought a professional had drawn. He had so many talents.”

Reidy said Mr. Davey was an avid fan of the television show “Lost” and would write long e-mails to his friends who followed the show after every episode.

Brad Gabbard said he met Mr. Davey in high school and he could teach himself to do almost anything.

“He was one of those people who could do anything he set his mind to,” Gabbard said.

Tom Davey said his son attended the University of Cincinnati for undergraduate studies and chose MU for his graduate degree because he liked its philosophy program.

His father also said Mr. Davey loved his dog, Hanto, a pug named after the surgeon who conducted a liver transplant for his son in 2001, after he was diagnosed in 2000 with biliary cirrhosis, a disease that destroys the bile ducts in the liver.

Tom Davey said doctors gave his son nine months to live when he was born with biliary atresia, a rare medical condition that could lead to liver failure.

“He was a miracle from birth,” his father said.

Tom Davey said doctors discovered his son also developed biliary cirrhosis in March. The disease, which can be caused by biliary atresia, resulted in gastro intestinal problems and hospitalized him in May.

Scott Davey is survived by his father, Tom; his mother, Rita; his two younger sisters, Bridget Kamp and Tiffanee; as well as his nephew, niece and numerous friends.