House catches fire near Greektown

The estimated damage is valued at $2,500.
A fire in the bathroom of a house at 809 Maryland Ave. caused aerosol cans to explode, breaking a window and damaging a door Monday afternoon.

A house on Maryland Avenue near Greektown caught fire Monday afternoon.

The bathroom at a private residence at 809 Maryland Ave. caught fire when a candle was left unattended, Columbia Fire Department Capt. Eric Hartman said.

The house is not associated with the Greek community.

Fire crews arrived on the scene around 12:40 p.m. for a house fire call. Hartman said the fire from the candle spread to a shelf in the first floor bathroom. The fire came into contact with aerosol cans left in the bathroom, and the cans exploded

The aerosol cans caused damage to a window and a door in the bathroom.

There was also smoke damage to the hallway and living room.

No one was injured in the fire and the damage is estimated to be about $2,500, Hartman said.

Hartman said there were smoke alarms in the house, but only one was working at the time of the fire.

Share: Facebook / Twitter / Google+

Article comments

0 comments

This item does not have any approved comments yet.

Post a comment

Please provide a full name for all comments. We don't post obscene, offensive or pure hate speech.