Interfraternity Council board inaugurated

President Danny Jonas outlined his goals for 2009.

The 2009 Interfraternity Council Executive Board was sworn in Thursday night, with Danny Jonas, formerly vice president of risk management, taking over as president. Julie Drury also replaced Scott Clark as the group’s adviser.

Jonas said he was happy with the new board members and believed they want to have a significant positive impact on the IFC.

“I’m really excited about this new board,” Jonas said. “We’ve got a great team of guys who also share that excitement and are looking to do big things.”

Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Cathy Scroggs also spoke at the inauguration, encouraging the board to think about the positive aspects of fraternity life and “insist that the leadership of our chapters keep those values in front of them.”

She said that though she would not be afraid to level criticism against decisions she felt were wrong, she would also defend the parts of the agenda that she thought upheld those values.

“You can be assured that you have my support,” Scroggs said. “Now, I’m going to be your harshest critic from time to time, but I promise you that I will be a very staunch advocate for the kinds of things you want to accomplish.”

Outgoing President Bryan VanGronigen also stressed the importance of upholding positive values in his final address. He thanked Jonas for reforming social registration policies during his time as vice president of risk management after taking over mid-year for John Morrison.

“We are a community that has a lot of tradition,” VanGronigen said. “Sometimes those traditions need to be re-evaluated to see if they’re actually serving the purpose today’s fraternal environment is trying to accomplish.”

Jonas noted in his remarks that Thursday was the first time that he had met Scroggs in person, though he had heard about her in his former position. After the ceremony, he said he is anxious to work with her as someone who wants to bring continuing change to the IFC.

“I’m looking forward to it because we’re on the same page and we’re all seeing the problems. We know there are good things, but there are also some things holding us back," Jonas said. “We’ll be able to work together to find solutions that this board can put forth towards the 20 chapters and making them better.”

Jonas said that one of the priorities of his term will be improving cooperation between IFC, the Panhellenic Association, the Multicultural Greek Council and the National Pan-Hellenic Council. He said IFC focuses primarily on its member fraternities, but he wanted to foster greater cooperation between these groups, starting with a retreat in December.

“Outside of that, we want to try and meet with the other three councils and get them more involved,” Jonas said. “When people say ‘Greek,’ we want them to think not just of the IFC, but also PHA and others as well.” 

Also sworn in at the IFC pinning ceremony were Vice President of Recruitment Jared Thomas, Vice President of Risk Management Alan Brandt, Vice President of Membership Austin Connoyer, Vice President of Finance and Records Brad Loethen, Vice President of Programming Matt Schornheuser and Vice President of Public Relations Ryan Takeo Morimura.

<!—EndFragment—>