Justice named Graduate School dean

He has served as interim dean since July 2009.

Provost Brian Foster named George Justice dean of the Graduate School on Thursday in an MU news release. Justice has served as interim dean of the school since Pam Benoit resigned on July 1, 2009.

“I’ve been impressed by his accomplishments and positive vision for the Graduate School and his interest in facilitating a campus-wide discussion on the national issues in graduate education,” Foster said in the news release. “I’m looking forward to having George as a permanent part of our team.”

Justice, whose appointment to dean will become effective May 1, has served as a faculty member at Marquette University and Louisiana State University. According to the news release, he’s been a member of the MU faculty since 2002 and has spent time as the director of graduate studies for the English department and as the assistant and associate dean of the Graduate School.

The newly appointed dean also serves on the membership committee on the Council of Graduate Schools, a national organization for graduate schools.

“I have appreciated Dr. Justice’s leadership as interim dean here at MU for the past year as well as his leadership nationally – especially with the Council of Graduate Schools,” Foster said.

Justice’s research focuses on 18th century literature, and he’s authored or edited several essays and books in that field, according to the news release. He’s also served as an editorial consultant for publishers, including the University of Toronto Press, Cambridge University Press, Longman Publishers and Broadview Press.

“Graduate education is not only central to the university’s missions in research, education, service and economic development, but it will increase in importance to the lives of the students we attract here for their advanced studies — Missourians, other Americans and the many international students who are drawn to campus for our outstanding faculty and facilities,” Justice said in the news release.

Justice received his bachelor’s degree from Wesleyan University and his masters and doctorate in English from the University of Pennsylvania.

“I am honored to be able to continue leading the Graduate School at MU as dean and vice provost for advanced studies,” Justice said. “I look forward to working with the deans and faculty across the university to sustain and build graduate programs responsive to the best of scholarship in our disciplines and attuned to opportunities for our graduates once they leave MU.”