Kappa Alpha Psi works for Haiti relief

The Delta Omega chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. will host the "Dining with the Kappas" fundraiser Jan. 27 at CiCi's Pizza.

The fundraiser is a part of iKare: The Kappa Alpha Psi Haiti Relief Initiative.

Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. President Donald Greenlee said planning for iKare began a day or two after the first earthquake occurred in Haiti. Treasurer Brennan Duvall originally proposed the idea through a text message.

"Our chapter has nine members in it," said Derrick Christian, vice polemarch and keeper of records. "All nine of us came together with ideas and cultivated it."

It all started with a text message. Now it is a national thing, Christian said.

Christian said iKare started at the chapter level, and he took it to the national president when it was adopted as a national cause.

Greenlee said Christian has a direct line to the national president because he is a member of the national undergraduate board of directors.

"The plan was really done on the 13th," Christian said. "I proposed it to the fraternity that night. Between the 13th and the 15th we worked out any kinks, then we launched it nationally on the 15th or the 16th."

Christian said the chapter aimed to raise $1,911 because Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. was founded in 1911. The national campaign's goal is $100,000.

Christian said iKare's main source of fundraising would derive from selling wristbands for $5. Chapter members are also trying to set up donation tables around campus. Three hundred dollars have already been pledged.

"People everywhere are generally interested in helping the relief effort," Greenlee said. "This offers people the opportunity to do that."

Christian said one of the principles Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. stands for inspiring service.

"It would be sacrilege as a fraternity to not step up in this time of need," Christian said.