Master of Public health program accredited

It's the only public school program in Missouri to receive the recognition.

The MU Master of Public Health program received accreditation from the Council on Education for Public Health, according to a statement released Thursday.

“I am delighted, but not surprised, that the MPH program was awarded full accreditation,” said Kristofer Hagglund, MPH program director and School of Health Professions associate dean, in a news release.

The program will have accreditation throughout December 2015. Five years is the maximum term a program can receive. The program is the second accredited program and the only accredited program at a public university in Missouri.

“The program’s students, faculty and staff are dedicated to learning and to enhancing the health and well-being of our community,” Hagglund said. “The program has outstanding support from the university and from its many community partners. This support allows us to provide high-quality coursework, excellent research and community service in Missouri and around the world.”

At MU, more than 143 students are studying public health. The program began in 2007 with 58 students. Currently, the program is home to students from across the U.S. and various countries.

The program’s mission is to advance the health and well-being of citizens of Missouri and other places through excellent teaching, discovery and service in public health.

Dual degrees are offered with both the College of Veterinary Medicine and the Harry S. Truman School of Public Affairs. In the future, the program plans to offer a dual degree with the School of Journalism.

According to the news release, the program encompasses the academic strengths of MU in veterinary medicine and policy analysis and development to meet the needs of the population.

“The accreditation process reflected the unique structure and strengths of MU’s MPH program, including the commitment to excellence in research, teaching and service,” MPH Associate Director Lise Saffran said in a news release. “This exciting news was the result of the interdisciplinary team work and collaboration that is at the heart of public health.”

The U.S. Department of Education recognizes the Council on Education for Public Health as an agency that can accredit schools and programs of public health.