Mizzou in Review 2015–16

The best and the worst of this unforgettable year.
Redshirt senior shortstop Sami Fagan looks on toward the plate as the sun sets over the right field fence during the second game against Wichita State on April 13. The Tigers had a double header against Wichita State and won both games.

How will you tell your children about this past school year?

Will you call it chaotic, stressful, shocking, drastic, typical or upsetting?

When we look back on the year, one word comes to our mind: historic. This school year won’t — and shouldn’t — blend into the others. The ramifications of this year, from the low enrollment to the administrative changes, will be felt by generations of students. Factor in the graduate student protests, coach Gary Pinkel’s retirement, the Melissa Click saga, the Missouri Students Association drama and progress on campus diversity initiatives, and we had ourselves one hell of a year.

This year means something different to each of us. We’ll all remember and describe it differently. But the key is to remember that we lived through history.

Each year we, as an Editorial Board, vote on and compile this section to pause and reflect on the year. We know that there are moments during this past year that will be told and retold. The most influential students were selected because without them, those moments wouldn’t have happened.

Sometimes we get it wrong. Two years ago, we called former Chancellor R. Bowen Loftin’s hiring the best university achievement. We know how that turned out, but hey, hindsight is 20/20.

So take a moment to look up from your textbook and reflect with us. This is how we as The Maneater will remember the year.

Thanks for reading,

The Maneater Staff