MSA constitutional convention delayed

The convention was originally scheduled for late April.

Due to scheduling conflicts and difficulties with room reservations, the Missouri Students Association constitutional convention has been delayed until late August.

The convention aims to improve the way MSA is structured and serves students, specifically in how the senate is structured, MSA Senate Speaker Evan Wood said. Originally, there were going to be two conventions -- one in the spring and one in August -- and the results would potentially lead to a referendum to amend the constitution, which would go to a student vote.

The first convention was scheduled to begin April 21, but the dates and times conflicted with events around campus, as well as student leaders' schedules, and it was postponed.

"There were a lot of people within MSA that had school commitments," MSA President Tim Noce said. "And the constituent leaders we wanted to be there on top of the general public couldn't be."

As a result, there will only be one convention instead of two, but Noce said that wouldn't be a problem. He and Wood are staying in Columbia during the summer, and they plan to prepare for the convention before it begins.

"We figured it would be a lot more thorough and better done at the beginning of the school year," he said.

Wood said he plans to research the pros and cons of previous MSA Senate structures and see how he could apply it to potential constitutional changes. MSA Senate's makeup is based on academic college, with each school having a set number of representatives.

Because MSA legislation typically applies to students as a whole and not to individual colleges, the representation is arbitrary, Woods said.

"No one identifies with their college," he said. "You don't necessarily think is this good for the College of Business - more students in general."

Previous MSA Senate structures have included one based on residence halls, each floor of a hall having a representative, but it created a much larger senate, Wood said. Noce said MSA will encourage the entire student body to participate in the convention, and he plans to advertise the event to "empower" the general public.

"We're going to let everyone say their piece and recommendations to myself, Evan, the people who are there," he said.

The ultimate goal of the convention and a potential referendum to amend the constitution is to improve how the senate serves its constituents, Wood said.

"We want to have a discussion with any interested student, as well as students leaders, about the structure of MSA and see if it's possible to change it to better suit the students," he said.