MSA proposes new student tailgating tradition

No decisions will be made this season.

Another meeting between student representatives and the MU administration looking for student tailgating solutions happened Monday.

They discussed the previously submitted proposals, looked for ways to improve upon the plans and ultimately concluded nothing will be done this season for student tailgating, Missouri Students Association President Jordan Paul said.

The proposals from Paul and Student Communications Director Tim Noce, who is running unopposed for MSA president, focused on making tailgating a campus tradition like that of The Grove at the University of Mississippi. They suggested Carnahan Quadrangle as the location for the new tailgating spot.

"Using the Carnahan Quadrangle is still an option, but we're more hesitant to go down that path because upkeep is so costly," Paul said.

The general upkeep of Carnahan Quadrangle refers to the grass and soil of the area. According to the proposals, The Grove, which has a large grassy area similar to Carnahan Quadrangle, employs a four-season maintenance program. They also distribute and collect trashcans across the area on game days.

Four-season maintenance programs consist of a different maintenance program for each season.

Paul said the administration suggested the possibility of closing Rollins Street from the business building to the student center, but this idea could have its faults as well because of local laws concerning open containers and closing streets. Overall, Paul said everyone involved was committed to a solution.

"Jordan's proposal was a good starting point for us," Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Cathy Scroggs said. "There is more work to be done on implementing a student tailgate area, but I felt like today we had a great beginning."

All of the ideas involve student groups purchasing or renting tents from the university and lining up in the designated area for tailgating.

"The university is not looking for anything," Director of Student Life Mark Lucas said. "Reactor wasn't provided by the campus. It was taken away because students were being irresponsible, but it was never given to the students."

For that reason, Reactor Field and these proposals are entirely different. Reactor Field was never an official part of tailgating or MU, and the proposals hope to make tailgating a tradition among football fans.

Lucas said the administration has no requirements or standards for the campus tailgating because it has never happened before. He said they are waiting to see what the students want.

"We wouldn't want to have a bad event," Paul said.

Another meeting to further discuss possible issues with the proposals will be held next month.

"I think it's way too early to say the proposals are going to work," Wellness Resource Center Director Kim Dude said. "I think it's a very nice collaborative effort though."