MU Children's and Women's Hospital adds 'adolescent activity' room

The space is meant to be used as a lounge for teenage patients.

MU Children’s Hospital employees gathered Tuesday afternoon for a ribbon cutting ceremony for their new adolescent activity room.

The room was made possible by a $15,000 grant from the Alicia Rose “Victorious” Foundation. Aimed at patients ages 12 to 18, the room is on the fifth floor of MU Women’s and Children’s Hospital.

“Our activity room is a popular place for our adolescent patients to relax and have fun, while taking their mind off their illness,” said Merideth Lehman, child life coordinator at MU Children’s Hospital, in a news release. “Thanks to the grant from the Alicia Rose ‘Victorious’ Foundation, we’ve been able to update the room with the same electronic games and activities that teenagers enjoy outside the hospital.”

In the adolescent activity room, there is a flat-screen TV, a jukebox featuring songs from popular bands such as Snow Patrol, an Internet enabled computer and a PlayStation 3 with Rock Band.

“Without that grant, we wouldn’t have all these fun things in here,” Lehman said.

Lehman said she wrote the grant last spring.

“I found out about it through a colleague of mine, a child life specialist in Georgia,” Lehman said. “They received the grant for their activity room. So I knew we were going to be moving and building a new activity room, so I was looking for resources to help fund supplies for the room.”

Founded in 2002, the purpose of the Alicia Rose “Victorious” Foundation is to bring hope, excitement and entertainment to teens receiving treatment in hospitals. The foundation is in honor of Alicia Rose DiNatale, a teenage girl who fought and lost her battle with a rare form of cancer.

According to the foundation’s website, since its creation, the foundation has helped to fund more than 50 teen lounges – both nationally and internationally. Overall, more than 43,500 ill teens and their relatives have benefited from the foundation’s efforts.

In addition to the adolescent activity room in the MU Children’s Hospital, the foundation has funded lounges at the St. Louis Children’s Hospital, the Children’s Memorial Hospital of Chicago and the Arkansas Children’s Hospital in Little Rock, Ark.