Provost names new College of Business dean

The appointment becomes effective Sept. 1

Provost Brian Foster announced the appointment of Joan Gabel, former Florida State University Department of Risk Management/Insurance chairwoman and Real Estate & Business Law chairwoman, as the new dean for the College of Business.

Foster said MU looks forward to working with Gabel as they prepare students for the changing dynamics of the business world.

“Her experience in the field of international business and her background in the legal field will add a unique perspective to our educational atmosphere in Cornell Hall,” Foster said.

Gabel will replace Bruce Walker, who served as MU's College of Business dean from 1990 until his resignation in October 2009. Gabel said in a news release she is honored to join the College of Business.

“I am humbled to be among such an excellent faculty with a world-class reputation for research and teaching in a student-centered environment,” Gabel said.

Gabel joins MU after three years at FSU and 11 years in the Robison College of Business at Georgia State University, where she served as faculty director of the Atlanta Compliance and Ethics Roundtable and interim Director of the Institute of International Business.

She anticipates furthering the relationships the College of Business has across MU, Columbia, the state of Missouri and the world.

“The college’s past successes create an ideal environment for us to build upon those relationships so that together, we can continue to attract top students and help them develop into global business leaders and scholars,” Gabel said.

In her career, Gabel has been published in The American Business Law Journal and The Journal of Business Ethics. She also served as editor-in-chief of The American Business Law Journal and the Journal of Legal Studies in Business.

Gabel’s appointment is effective Sept. 1.

GET SOCIAL