Provost names new College of Education dean

Daniel Clay's appointment is effective June 1.

Provost Brian Foster named a new College of Education dean on Tuesday, according to an MU news release.

Daniel Clay, associate dean for administration, research and innovative programs at Auburn University’s College of Education, will replace former dean Carolyn Herrington, who left the position in August 2008. Former Sinclair School of Nursing dean Rose Porter has served as interim dean since Herrington’s departure.

“Dr. Clay comes to us with a broad academic background and has personal connections to Missouri,” Foster said in the news release. “In our visits, he saw the big picture, and I believe that he will provide very strong leadership. I’m excited about the future with him at the helm of the College of Education.”

Clay received his master’s degree and doctorate from MU after earning his bachelor’s degree in psychology. He attended Harvard University’s Management Development Program before being appointed as an associate dean at Auburn.

“It’s a transformative time in education in general,” Clay said in the news release. “With that challenge comes an opportunity for innovations in teacher education and the health care field to better serve the people of the state and the region. The recent closing of schools in the state demonstrates that we have a lot of work to do.”

Clay serves as president of the American Psychological Association’s Division 54 and is a member of the International Programs Advisory at Auburn.

“Being at MU started the higher education process for my family,” Clay said in the news release. “It allowed us to enjoy opportunities that wouldn’t have been possible without Mizzou. As dean, I want to make sure that the faculty, staff and students have opportunities to reach their goals.”