Residence hall thefts reported

Thefts this past weekend in two rooms in different residence halls are being investigated.

According to police reports, a room in Stafford residence hall was stolen from between 10 p.m. Sept. 24 and 12:36 a.m. Sept. 25.

A room in Wolpers Hall was stolen from on Sept. 25 between 1:30 and 1:50 a.m.

In Stafford, a resident reported an Apple laptop, iPod nano, four student admission MU football tickets, a Bank of America debit card and a brown Tommy Hilfiger wallet as missing.

According to MU Police documents, the items were valued at more than $2,000.

MU Police Department Capt. Brian Weimer said there were no signs of forced entry, and the door to the room had been left unlocked.

In the incident at Wolpers, which occurred while the student was doing laundry, an Apple laptop and charger, graphic calculator and a wallet were stolen from the room.

In this instance, Weimer said the door was also left unlocked.

A custodian found the wallet and cell phone the next day.

Weimer said the police have no suspect in either incident.

Residential Life Director Frankie Minor said these events do not create enough of a pattern to warrant informing students about the break-ins.

"We typically do not inform students if there is no indication of a pattern," Minor said. "Most of these are crimes of opportunity."

Weimer said information about crimes is always available on the police blotter and through the media.

"If we sent out mass e-mails all the time, they would loose their effectiveness," he said.

Minor said although most thefts are random crimes, there are certain times that crime is more prevalent.

"Theft is more common at the end of the semester, when students are out studying and preparing to sell back their books," Minor said.

Minor said during this period, the Department of Residential Life will send an e-mail warning students to watch their belongings.