RHA holds Paint it Pink Week

Events include T-shirt sales and a Shakespeare's Pizza fundraiser.
Freshmen Ashley Hogrebe and Amy Schmitz admire their new Paint it Pink T-shirts Monday between Dogwood and Hawthorn residence halls.  The Residence Halls Association event marked the beginning of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

The Residence Halls Association met Monday evening in the HawLeWood courtyard following its committee meetings to promote breast cancer awareness and begin its fifth annual Paint it Pink week.

RHA launched Paint it Pink Week 2010 with free pink desserts and Paint it Pink T-shirts available to anyone willing to donate at least $5 to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

“Tonight’s event is just the kick-off for the week,” RHA Vice President Lauren Thomas said. “We do a week each October called Paint it Pink Week where we try to raise money to donate to the Susan G. Komen Foundation.”

Each year, RHA purchases T-shirts that they pass out to students for a small contribution to support breast cancer research.

“We want to sell out of T-shirts, because the closer we get to running out, the more we raise,” Thomas said. “This year we ordered 1,000 shirts, and last year we raised somewhere around $3,000, so our goal this year is to raise somewhere around $5,000.”

Thomas said that they will be selling the shirts until they run out, so students who wish to donate $5 and receive a shirt should be looking for RHA members in Speakers Circle this week.

RHA President Rachael Feuerborn said other events, like the Shakespeare’s Pizza dining to donate fundraiser, will be taking place this week as well.

On Oct. 7, RHA and Shakespeare’s Pizza are pairing up for the cure.

“You can dine in, carry out or have delivery, and as long as you have the RHA Shakespeare’s ad, a certain percentage of your purchase will go to the Susan G. Komen Foundation,” Thomas said.

RHA’s Director of Technology put the ad on RHA websites Monday evening, giving students plenty of time to plan for Thursday’s fundraiser.

“The Shakespeare’s ad is available on the RHA Facebook and Twitter pages as well as through reslife.missouri.edu/RHA,” RHA Director of Technology Colten Ross said. “Students can access the ad through the sites or by purchasing a T-shirt in Speakers Circle.”

Shakespeare’s Pizza and RHA will also have a pizza party Thursday evening to jump start their dining to donate event.

“Thursday from 6 (p.m.) to 7 p.m. in the Plaza Amphitheater, we will be ordering Shakespeare’s pizza, and a certain percentage of our purchase will also be going to Susan G. Komen,” Thomas said. “We will also be doing a group picture of everyone in their shirts to send with our donation to the Susan G. Komen Foundation.”

Campus Dining Services is also participating in Paint it Pink Week.

“Tuesday and Thursday in the dining halls, CDS will have pink M&M cookies and ice-your-own cupcakes with pink icing in spirit of Paint it Pink Week,” Thomas said.

Thomas said the RHA executive board planned the event, and with help from the events and planning committee the T-shirts have already become a hit. The organization of this week’s events also helped the committee members get a feel for actually planning and executing events.