Stressed students find help with finals

Finals loom on the horizon, and some students are boiling in hot water if they are struggling in classes.

Many students worry because they must stay up late writing a paper or studying for a test that will make or break their grade. But most students don't know there are several places they can go for help, no matter what the academic problem is.

Freshman Jeremy Jones said he needs help with Chemistry 31 because he is not doing so well. Jones said his FIG leader helps him more than his professors do.

"I get help from my classmates, and I attend the review sessions for the tests," he said.

Some students need help with studying in general.

"I need help buckling down and studying for my finals because I always know there is something else I could be doing," said freshman Jessica Cuba.

Cuba said having help available is good, but she does not utilize it much. She also said professors, especially those who teach lectures, are usually too busy to help individual students.

Sophomore Raj Kunda disagrees with Cuba. He said professors are there for their students, and some students are too lazy to take advantage of that.

"We are a society of procrastinators," he said. Kunda said he feels comfortable going into finals, and he doesn't need any help.

Elaine Hocks, a learning resource specialist at the Learning Center's writing lab, said the lab's main goal is to empower students so they can achieve their goals.

"Where else can a student get 50 minutes of free help and direction?" she asked.

The writing lab, located in room 231 of Art and Science, and has three satellite offices in Hatch Hall, Mark Twain and Blair. Students can receive help from 8:40 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday. Graduate students and honors undergraduate students work at the lab.

Some students need help to pass their finals.

Freshman Chuzen Jalipa said he needs help managing his time. He said he gets help from classmates, teaching assistants and professors. He also occasionally goes to the writing lab.

"The lab is very helpful, but they don't do the work for you," Jalipa said. "Professors are more helpful because they are the ones who teach, so they can provide students with more of a precise answer to questions."

Andy White, coordinator of the Campus Writing Program, said the lab provides a good opportunity for students to study with people in the same majors.

"This is a good opportunity for students who want to get that A or B," he said.

The Campus Writing Program is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday in 325 GCB. After stop day, it will be open only to students who schedule appointments.