Student crashes into house

Amy Oslica / Graphic Designer

An MU medical student crashed his car into a house at Northampton Drive on Saturday, a Columbia Police Department news release stated.

Justin J. Purdy’s 2001 Ford F-150 crashed into a vehicle parked in the driveway, then crashed through the front of the residence, according to the release.

CPD and the Columbia Fire Department were called to the scene at 2:50 a.m.

CPD was called to assess the damage to the house.

“There could be enough structural damage to the house for the house to collapse, or there could be utility damage,” CFD Battalion Chief Steven Sapp said.

Purdy backed out of the driveway and left the scene after the crash. A witness gave officers a description of the car, CPD Capt. Steven Monticelli said. Officers located the vehicle near Green Meadows Road, the news release stated.

“Police located the vehicle and Purdy was outside the vehicle,” Monticelli said.

Purdy did not resist when he was arrested.

“He was intoxicated and he was processed for that,” Monticelli said.

Purdy was arrested on suspicion of driving while intoxicated, leaving the scene of an accident and operating a motor vehicle in a careless and imprudent manner.

“It isn’t a common occurrence that cars crash into houses,” Sapp said.

No one was injured in the accident. There was no passenger in the car with Purdy, Monticelli said.

Purdy might be facing consequences from the medical school following the crash, MU spokesman Christian Basi said.

“Students have to follow the code of conduct in the M book,” he said.

Students are subject to a set of sanctions if they are found to be in violation of the code of conduct.

“The sanctions range from a verbal reprimand to expulsion from the university,” Basi said.