Summer textbook adoptions submitted match average

Adoptions submitted by the deadline can save students money.
Professors submitted 84 percent of textbook adoptions by the March 31 deadline for the summer semester. The textbook adoption deadline for fall 2010 was Thursday. Maneater File Photo

Professors and instructors submitted textbook adoptions to University Bookstore for approximately 84 percent of all summer 2010 courses by the March 31 deadline, Student and Auxiliary Services spokeswoman Michelle Froese said.

Early adoptions give more money to students who participate in the bookstore's textbook buyback at the end of the semester. The fraction of adoptions turned in, which translated to 6,279 total, is average for the past few years, she said.

Chancellor Brady Deaton regularly sends an e-mail to professors asking them to submit the request forms on the deadline, Froese said, which has helped with getting requests turned in on time.

Textbook adoption forms are expected of all faculty members scheduled to teach a course in the semester, even if no textbook is needed.

"Faculty are still required to turn in an adoption form with 'no book required' selected," Froese said. "Usually these classes are upper level or graduate courses. They might have reserved material through the library or on blackboard."

Faculty textbook order forms are available on University Bookstore's Web site. An instructor's name, phone number and e-mail are among several mandatory fields to be completed to submit the form.

Froese said the purpose of the information is to clarify questions with submitted orders.

"The bookstore enters electronic forms into their point-of-sale system and place orders from that system," she said.

Adoption forms are not kept by the bookstore after orders have been completed because there are so many, Froese said.

The bookstore lists required books for courses on its Web site after it receives a submitted adoption form.

"If class isn't listed on the 'Search by Course: Buy Textbooks' page, we have not received an adoption form for that class," Froese said. "Even if a book isn't required, the course is still listed, which is how students and people can track classes that have turned in forms."

Not all books listed are available as used copies.

"The 'Search by Course: Buy Textbooks' page auto-generates a used book price even if a used book is not available for a course," Froese said.

The bookstore will refund prices of books bought through University Bookstore if textbook requirements change.

"There was a case two years ago where a professor was assigned to teach a class but then the department reassigned the instructor," Froese said. "The new instructor changed the required textbook, and the bookstore refunded the price of the old book to students who had purchased the book from the bookstore."

Senior Vance Downing said he buys his textbooks from the university.

"I buy my books from the bookstore because of the convenience," Downing said. "I use the Earlybird option and don't have problems."

Freshman Jeffrey Perkins said he chooses to purchase his textbooks from the bookstore and online.

"The bookstore is convenient because it is on campus, but their books are really expensive," Perkins said. "Sometimes I order online because it's cheaper and easier to find the textbook I need. Sometimes the bookstore doesn't have the textbook in stock."

The deadline for professors to submit faculty textbook order forms for the fall 2010 semester was Thursday.

"Two days prior to the fall 2010 due date we have 10,258 adoptions entered, or 70 percent of the current total classes," Froese said.