UM curators vote on tuition increase Friday

The Board of Curators will determine whether tuition increases 2009-2010.

Increases in tuition and supplemental fees for the 2009-2010 school year are unlikely, said Tony Luetkemeyer, student representative to the UM system Board of Curators.

The board convenes Friday at the Missouri University of Science and Technology in Rolla as part of a two-day meeting.

Because of a deal with Gov. Jay Nixon, the board discussed not increasing tuition for the upcoming school year. In exchange, Nixon promised to recommend no cuts to the higher education budget for the next fiscal year.

"Right now the governor's budget recommended a flat appropriation with the exception of a cut to extension, but that money has been replaced by the House," Luetkemeyer said.

The House passed Nixon's recommendation, and it awaits Senate approval. Luetkemeyer said he is confident the Senate will pass the budget recommendation.

The board will vote Friday on the tuition and fees proposal.

Because all the board members were present for the proposal Thursday, Luetkemeyer said he expects it to pass Friday when the Board of Curators meeting continues with the general session. The board will also vote on its proposed 2010 meeting calendar.

Also among the list of things to do on Friday is the selection of a student curator for recommendation to Nixon. Missouri Students Association President Jordan Paul will ultimately be the one to cast MU's vote, he said, but with input from other student leaders including representatives from the Associated Students of the University of Missouri.

After a background check by the state, Nixon will choose whether to uphold the student curator recommendation. The student curator nominee will then be subject to the same approval process as any other board member.

The board will next meet June 4-5 at UM-Kansas City. Paul said MSA's referendum to include gender identity in the university's non-discrimination clause will probably be on the agenda.

"We're going to talk about what efforts there are on other campuses," he said.