UM system proposes tuition increases

The increases would apply to out-of-sate and graduate students.

Tuition for out-of-state and graduate students could see an increase as early as this summer if the UM system Board of Curators approves proposals from university administration.

The curators will set tuition rates for summer and fall 2010 semesters, as well as spring 2011, at its meeting Thursday and Friday at Missouri University of Science and Technology. Proposals include a 5 percent tuition increase for out-of-state students at MU and Missouri S&T and a 2.7 percent increase at UM-Kansas City and UM-St. Louis to match the consumer price index.

MU spokesman Christian Basi said the reasons for the difference in proposed increases at MU and Missouri S&T and those at UMKC and UMSL will be addressed at the curators meeting.

The 5 percent hike in out-of-state tuition would bring the price per credit hour up about $30 to $646.10, according to the UM system Web site.

UM system administrators also proposed a 2.7 percent increase for graduate tuition at all four campuses.

The recommendations do not touch on undergraduate in-state tuition, which would remain flat under an agreement between the system and Gov. Jay Nixon that states the system would not increase undergraduate, in-state tuition if he does not cut more than $50 million from the state's higher education budget.

The proposals include increases to tuition and course fees for several MU schools. Course fees for the Trulaske College of Business would more than double, increasing from $34.40 to $75 per credit hour. According to the proposal documents, those course fee increases are not a part of the tuition freeze deal because they do not affect all students.

“(The increases in) fees or new fees, the fees are charges only to students enrolled in specific courses and are not subject to the agreement with the governor,” the proposal stated.

Out-of-state graduate students in the College of Veterinary Medicine would pay $10,000 more a year if the proposals are approved. This year’s out-of-state tuition is $43,496, a total the proposal calls “not excessive compared to peers,” because MU students often establish residency after one year.

The College of Veterinary Medicine would receive 80 percent, or $352,000, of revenue created by the increase.

“The funding would be used to hire additional faculty, invest in teaching technology and cover costs of teaching materials used off campus,” the proposal documents stated. “The campus would retain 20 percent for administrative expenses.”

According to the UM system’s Web site, university administration recommends all other undergraduate, graduate and professional student enrollment fees increase by the rate of inflation, 2.7 percent.