Unity marchers trek through snow

About 30 people, holding candles and singing "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing" and "We Shall Overcome," marched from the Gaines/Oldham Black Culture Center to Jesse Hall for the fourth annual Zeta Phi Beta Unity March.

Once they arrived at Jesse Auditorium, participants listened to speeches by various members of the community, including Missouri Students Association President Brett Ordnung and former Sigma Gamma Rho President Nakeisha Ferguson.

National Pan-Hellenic Council President Khandicia Randolph said the purpose of the annual march has changed since it began in 2000.

"The original purpose was to unify the NPHC fraternities and sororities on campus," Randolph said. "Since then, it has branched out to address the issue of diversity in Columbia and at the university, and the lack thereof."

Zeta Phi Beta Chapter President Kashima Hughes said addressing diversity can help improve race relations within the community.

"It's important because we all need to learn how to foster good relationships," Hughes said. "This is a way that we can unify everyone."

Members of sororities in the Panhellenic Council, such as Zeta Tau Alpha and Sigma Kappa also participated in the march.