Vagina Week to be held in March

Beginning March 10, the Women's Center will be sponsoring its first ever Vagina Week, in conjunction it's performance of "The Vagina Monologues."

The week is part of MU's participation in the global celebration of V-Day. According to the V-Day organization Web site, V-Day is a non-profit corporation that seeks to stop violence against women through raising awareness and funding for anti-violence programs.

Since 1998, V-day has spread rapidly across the globe. The movement originally developed from Eve Ensler's play, "The Vagina Monologues."

In addition to "The Vagina Monologues" performance that was also held last year, this year the Women's Center has added a week of V-Day activities.

Vagina Jeopardy, which will be held at 8 p.m. March 12 in Stotler Lounge, will involve questions about vaginas and about women in general.

The Vagina Art Fair will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 13 in the Women's Center lounge and room 234 Brady Commons. Students can also join the Vagina Monologue planning committee in making vagina puppets and vagina coloring books.

The performance of "The Vagina Monologues" will be held at 7 p.m. March 14 and 15 in Conservation Auditorium.

Most of the proceeds raised from these events will go to the Stop the Violence fund.

Beth Pickens, office manager of the Women's Center, said the upcoming week of activities focuses on important issues.

"Violence is one of the most prevalent issues college women face, and it is something that definitely needs attention," she said.