Harvard tops U.S. News and World Report rankings

U.S. News and World Report released its annual college rankings and Harvard University tops the list of best national universities. The rankings are based on assessment by administrators at peer institutions, retention of students, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources, alumni giving and graduation rate performance.

Harvard was followed by Princeton University in second place, Yale University in third, followed by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Stanford University. California Institute of Technology, University of Pennsylvania, Columbia University, Duke University and the University of Chicago fill in the remaining top 10.

U.S. News and World Report also examines other higher education factors including the best colleges for economic diversity, ethnic diversity and freshman retention rates.

Universities and Colleges topping the freshman retention rate with a whopping 98 percent of new students include Yale University, Stanford University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Dartmouth College, Princeton University, the University of Pennsylvania, California Institute of Technology, the University of Notre Dame, Columbia University and Brown University.

Institutions with the greatest economic diversity where more than half of the undergraduates receive Pell grants are the University of La Verne in La Verne, Calif., California, Jackson State University in Mississippi, South Carolina State University and Florida A&M University in Tallahassee, Fla., Texas A&M University-Kingsville, University of Texas-El Paso and Tennessee State University.

If students are looking to encounter undergraduates from differing ethnic or racial groups, they are more likely to do so on the campuses of Rutgers University, the University of Houston, Nova Southeastern University in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., Polytechnic University and the University of California –Riverside.

For a full listing, see U.S. News and World Report