Jayhawks' kicker picks med school over football

U. KANSAS — Another day and another transfer for coach Mark Mangino and the Kansas football team.

Kicker Stephen Hoge has left Lawrence and returned home to Oklahoma City to focus on getting into medical school, his mother Carolyn Hoge confirmed to the Kansan on Monday.

“Football just took a lot of his time and he just really felt like his career needed to come first,” Carolyn Hoge said. “He has plans to get into med school. It was a decision he made but he made it with our support. We told him we would support him in whatever he decided. It was not an easy decision but it’s something that he felt he needed to do.”

Hoge, a 6-foot-4, 227-pound redshirt freshman who was listed as the team’s starting kicker on the preseason depth chart, will take classes at a local community college this fall before enrolling at the University of Oklahoma in the spring.

Hoge, who had contemplated the decision the past few weeks, was battling sophomore Jacob Branstetter and transfer Grady Fowler for the kicking position during camp and appeared to have a leg up on the job. He was named a Prepstar Magazine All-American following his senior year of high school in 2006 when he went a perfect 16-16 on extra points and hit 12 of 16 field goals.

Hoge joins running backs Carmon Boyd-Anderson and Donte Bean as players who have transferred in recent days, but he appeared to be the only one of the three who could have seen significant playing time.