MU announces record year for fundraising

The latest donation made to MU, which has not been announced yet, is expected to be an eight-figure gift.

MU officials announced Tuesday that the university has reached a new record in private funds raised in a single year.

During fiscal year 2013-2014, MU raised $164.5 million, topping its initial goal of $150 million.

Vice Chancellor for Advancement Tom Hiles said in a press release that three gifts in particular — $30 million from the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation to the School of Journalism and another $30 million from the Kansas City Sports Trust to Intercollegiate Athletics — have helped boost MU’s fundraising efforts.

The third and latest gift MU received has not been announced at this time, but is expected to be another eight-figure donation, Hiles said in the release.

Other major gifts made to MU in the past year include: $1.57 million to the School of Law, $1 million to fund full scholarships for veterans, $6.7 million to kickstart a new doucumentary journalism program, $2.5 million to fund scholarships for veterinary students and $1.1 million for a new endowed faculty chair in the Department of Biochemistry.

“Private philanthropy and fundraising are vital to the educational and research missions of the university, helping us support student scholarships and attracting and retaining top-notch teachers and researchers,” Chancellor R. Bowen Loftin said in a press release.

Richard Miller, the tri-chair of the One Mizzou fundraising campaign, said that in light of reduced funding from the state government, MU would need to rely more heavily on private donations in the future.