MU freshman deposits increase 20.9 percent from previous year

Three leased properties were approved as potential MU housing if needed to house incoming students.

UM System President Mun Choi announced at the April Board of Curators meeting 5,124 incoming freshmen have made deposits to MU, up 20.9% from the same time last year.

“Mizzou is back,” Choi said confidently.

Additionally, freshman applications to MU are also up 5% from April 2018 to April 8, 2019.

The growth rates have slowed since Choi previously announced them at a February Board of Curators meeting. At the time, Choi said applications were up 5.7% and deposits were up 37% from February 2018.

In response to the increase in application and deposit rates, the curators approved a proposal from the Finance Committee to allow for up to three potential leased properties to be used as MU housing if needed.

The growth comes after a major drop in freshman enrollment, which began in 2016 following campus protests in 2015. Three residence halls: Discovery, Responsibility and Center were closed in 2017 due to low enrollment numbers. Discovery and Center have now reopened, and Responsibility is being leased by MU Health Care for administrative offices.

Edited by Janae McKenzie | jmckenzie@themaneater.com