MU holds wreath laying ceremony to commemorate 18 years since Sept. 11 terrorist attacks

Provost Latha Ramchand spoke and the ROTC posted the colors.
A University of Missouri Policeman stands next to the wreath placed on Francis Quadrangle in remembrance of 9/11. The Patriot Day Wreath-laying Ceremony occurred on September 11, 2019. Photo by Staff Photographer Madeline Carter

The bell in Switzler Hall rang 18 times over Francis Quadrangle on Wednesday to acknowledge the number of years that have passed since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks in 2001. MU held the Patriot Day Wreath-laying Ceremony in remembrance of those who lost their lives that day.

The ceremony took place in front of the MU Columns, which were strung with three American flags. MU ROTC started the ceremony by posting the colors before the bells at Switzler Hall rang.

Attendees of the event included faculty, staff, students and parents. Onlookers remained quiet to pay respect to those who passed.

After the 18 bells, MU military veterans displayed a wreath in front of the MU Columns. Provost Latha Ramchand spoke to the crowd gathered on the lawn.

“To me, Sept. 11 showed us that our spirit as a country was not and can never be broken,” Ramchand said in her remarks. “As a nation, as Americans, we will overcome, we will beat the odds, we will never give up, we will never stop fighting for our freedom. Our lives may be taken away but our spirit cannot be broken.”

An engine roared as the MU Health Care helicopter flew over the event, leaving behind a strong gust of wind in its wake. A fire truck was parked in the roundabout on the Avenue of the Columns with another American flag on the top of its ladder.

“Like these men and women, the University of Missouri holds its civic responsibility in the highest regard as it has for 180 years, and we are honored to be an institution that can give back to those who have given the most,” Ramchand said in her remarks.

A wreath was then laid on the north side of Francis Quadrangle, and trumpeter Zach Beran played taps. Afterward, the ROTC retired the colors.

“I was honestly super nervous to play in front of people like I always am,” Beran said. “But it’s always a neat experience to play for a huge group of people, including the armed service members, and now I feel great knowing I did a service to the group of armed service members on Sept. 11.”

Edited by Laura Evans | levans@themaneater.com