MU Homecoming royalty candidates represent variety of campus organizations

The king and queen will be announced Saturday at halftime of the homecoming football game.

The 107th MU Homecoming court at the first night of the Talent Show on Oct. 15, 2018. Photo by Photographer Lilly Anna Brinson

The 107th annual MU Homecoming is this Saturday, Oct. 20. The top 10 candidates for Homecoming royalty were announced on the MU Homecoming Twitter account on Sept. 26. The top 10 candidates are Tyler Brumfield, Alejandro Carranza, Troy D’Souza, Georgi Gnibus, Eric Graves, Jalyn Johnson, Jane Kielhofner, Madeline Lasater, Mercedes Mackay and Jacob Travis.

Tyler Brumfield Tyler Brumfield is from Chicago and is the president of the Mizzou Black Pre-Law Student Association. Brumfield is studying political science and plans to attend law school in the future.

Alejandro Carranza Alex Carranza is originally from Cedros, Jalisco, Mexico, but has lived in Columbia, Missouri since the second grade. He represents the Diversity Peer Educators. Carranza is studying psychology and Spanish, and plans to attend graduate school for human development and family services after gaining experience in experimental psychology and social justice work according to his LinkedIn profile.

Troy D’Souza Troy D’Souza is from Skokie, Illinois, and is studying sports convergence journalism. He is representing the Mizzou Catholic Student Association. D’Souza was an MUTV sports executive producer, and is currently a KOMU Sports reporter.

Georgi Gnibus Georgi Gnibus is from San Diego, California, and is studying psychology at MU. She is representing the Sigma Kappa sorority and is the student brand manager for Red Bull. After graduating, she plans to either pursue industrial-organizational psychology through working in human resources or by pursuing a Ph.D. in psychology.

Eric Graves Eric Graves is from Lee’s Summit, Missouri, and is studying broadcast journalism at MU. He is representing the Beta Sigma Psi fraternity. Graves was a production assistant and news anchor and currently is a producer at KOMU TV. He plans to continue his involvement in broadcast TV as a reporter after graduating.

Jalyn Johnson Jalyn Johnson is from St. Louis, and is studying sports broadcast journalism at MU. Last year, Johnson was a KOMU Sports reporter and this year, she is a KOMU Sports anchor. She is representing the United Ambassadors Diversity Student Recruitment Team. In the future, Johnson wants to be a reporter for a college team or network, according to reporting done by the Columbia Missourian.

Jane Kielhofner Jane Kielhofner is from Springfield, Missouri, and is studying public health and psychology at MU. She is representing the Kappa Alpha Theta sorority. In March, Kielhofner was recognized as an Unsung Hero and received the University of Missouri Award for Academic Distinction, an award that recognizes contributions to the academic atmosphere at MU. In the future, she plans to take the MCAT and take a gap year before applying to medical school.

Madeline Lasater Maddie Lasater is from Mount Vernon, Missouri, and is majoring in secondary English education. Lasater hopes to find a teaching job in a rural or international place after graduation and to attend law school to study education policy and eventually practice education law, according to reporting done by the Columbia Missourian.

Mercedes Mackay Mercedes Mackay is from Sugar Land, Texas, and is majoring in broadcast journalism. She is representing the Chi Omega sorority. Mackay is a multimedia reporter and anchor at KOMU 8 News.

Jacob Travis Jacob Travis is from Ashland, Missouri, and is studying health science at MU. He is representing the MU Tour Team. He is the president of the School of Health Professions Student Council.

Edited by Morgan Smith | mosmith@themaneater.com