Nixon releases over $140 million for education

Higher education institutions will receive more than $43 million.

Governor Jay Nixon announced on Thursday that he will release $143.6 million to fund K-12 schools and higher education institutions after vetoing bills proposing tax cuts.

Public Missouri universities will receive over $43 million of new funding.The

MU had made two budget cuts in July — 2 percent cut of general operating funds to support the MU Strategic Operating Plan and $3.8 million to cover a state funding shortfall.

UM System spokesman John Fougere said the system will receive approximately $21 million to split among its four campuses.

At this time, it is unclear how much funding MU will receive to alleviate the previous budget cuts. Fougere said the system will make an announcement by the end of the month regarding how the funds will be distributed.

Local schools will also be spared $93 million in cuts after Nixon vetoed a bill which proposed to cut the Proposition C sales tax.

Nixon said in a news release that providing children with the best possible education is an obligation.

“The future of our state depends on a strong public education system that delivers the high quality education our students deserve,” Nixon said in the release. “While there is still much work to be done, I’m pleased we’re able to make these investments that will help our students succeed and our economy thrive.”

UM System President Tim Wolfe said on Twitter that he is pleased with the release of funds to higher education institutions.