Letter to the Editor: Columbia should vote for Hoppe for Sixth Ward

Hoppe advocates for improved routes for school children and pedestrians.

I'm an active member in my neighborhood association and currently attending the Neighborhood Leadership Program offered by the city. Barbara Hoppe is a model for community leadership. She seeks to understand all sides of an issue and bring people together to create solutions that will have lasting benefit for our community.

She has responded to every request by our neighborhood for assistance. She helped get kid-friendly 25 mph signs and a traffic study in our neighborhood. She made sure Shepard Elementary school was added to a recent grant for the Safe Routes to Schools program. Thanks to Barbara Hoppe, we will be getting the long needed intersection improvements at Old 63 and Broadway and a pedway to connect us to Stephens Lake Park and Grindstone Nature Area.

She listens to citizens in all parts of the sixth ward. I wanted the Hinkson Trail along the Creek, which she voted against, but have since learned about problems with the proposed plan. Barbara is for a better east/west trail connection. She is working with residents to explore alternatives that will be more direct, useable in all types of weather and times of year, and less expensive. She is helping us find an alternative that will be better for the environment and that will best serve all of our neighborhoods, East Campus, Shepard Boulevard, Hinkson Creek Trail, Moon Valley and the community at large.

I urge you to vote for Barbara Hoppe for Sixth Ward.

Meredith J. Donaldson

Columbia resident