MUPD confirms shots fired near Traditions Plaza

The shooting took place at the same time as an Omega Psi Phi event. No injuries were reported.

The MU Police Department confirmed reports of shots fired Friday night near an Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. event at Traditions Plaza.

According to the MU Alert website, two shots were fired and no injuries were reported. The website states that there is no current threat to campus. A suspect has not yet been identified.

Based on tweets, the shots were heard around 10:20 p.m. The MU Alert website was not updated until 10:49 p.m., six minutes after KMIZ posted a story. No MU Alert texts were sent and campus did not go into any sort of securing.

MU Alert has received criticism recently for its perceived lack of response the night of Nov. 10, when anonymous threats to campus resulted in widespread panic. Since then, the alert system has sent out two notifications, one on March 6 and the other March 21, regarding shots fired. Neither was confirmed.

After the shots were fired Friday, multiple organizations, including the Legion of Black Collegians, the National Pan-Hellenic Council and Concerned Student 1950, tweeted that Omega Psi Phi was not responsible for the shooting.

According to the KMIZ story, some witnesses claimed that a fight had broken out at the event.

The MU Alert website describes the suspect as a “black male with dreadlocks, 5'7", 160 pounds, and wearing a white shirt” who was last seen in a “white, four door vehicle, with a partial license plate of W93 Z.”

MU Alert asks that anyone with information regarding the situation contact MUPD.

Edited by Kyra Haas | khaas@themaneater.com