Boone County man escapes to San Diego

Amy Oslica / Graphic Designer

A Boone County man who police said violated his parole last Tuesday has been apprehended in San Diego, Calif.

Douglas E. Oerly, who was convicted of first-degree murder in Cooper County in 1980, was apprehended late Saturday in San Diego, according to a news release from the Missouri Department of Corrections.

Oerly was supposed to report for court-ordered treatment on Tuesday, Missouri Department of Corrections spokesman Brian Hauswirth said. After waiting the mandated three-hour time period, the Department of Corrections referred his case to the Fugitive Apprehension Unit, Hauswirth said.

Oerly is in custody in a San Diego jail.

“We do not know why he was in San Diego,” Hauswirth said. “He had to get advanced permission to leave the state and he did not have permission.”

Oerly will go before a court in San Diego, which could order him back to the custody of the Department of Corrections.

The process will take at least a week, but there is a lot of paperwork that must be filed in order to have Oerly released into the custody of the Department of Corrections, Hauswirth said.

Before Oerly was apprehended in San Diego, police said they believed he was in the Boone County area.

Boone County Sheriff’s Department Maj. Tom Reddin said the sheriff’s department was watching for signs of Olery, but there are no specific policies concerning parolees who abscond.

“We arrest wanted people, that’s what we do,” Reddin said.

Oerly has family in Columbia, Columbia Police Department Capt. Brad Nelson said.

“We checked a family member’s in Columbia house without success,” Nelson said.

While CPD and the sheriff’s department worked together to find Oerly, CPD would arrest him if he were found in Columbia, Nelson said.

“If he’s inside Columbia, it’s our problem,” Nelson said.

Over the course of the year, CPD deals with many parole absconders, Nelson said.

“There is a higher priority on someone who has committed murder,” Nelson said.

MU Police Department was not notified specifically that Oerly had absconded. If they had been notified, MUPD doesn’t have a specific procedure regarding arrest warrants but works closely with CPD and the sheriff’s department on everything, MUPD Capt. Brian Weimer said.

“If we came across any wanted person, we would hold him and if the warrant is active, we would take him into custody,” Weimer said.

Oerly has had his parole revoked twice, in 1996 and 2002, before this incident. Both times he was taken into custody.