Burglars strike on East Campus

Burglars broke into houses on East Campus and stole more than $10,000 worth of valuables and cash this weekend.

Paul Phillips' home in the 100 block of South College Avenue was burglarized on Friday between 6:05 p.m. and 6:25 p.m. Burglars entered the home through a window and were able to leave with a large cache of electronics.

"They stole two laptops, a TV and $750 worth of videogame crap, so I would say that the total would be almost $6,000," Phillips said. "We filed a police report. We haven't heard anything back yet, but we did file a police report and allegedly they're investigating it."

Aaron Schaal and Nick Holman, who live on the 1500 block of Ross Street, fell victim to a similar crime on Saturday night when their side door was pried open.

Schaal, who was at the MU home football game during the burglary, said the house was vacant from 4:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m., and said he believed the crime occurred then. Together, the housemates had more than $4,000 worth of equipment stolen from them.

"The only thing of mine that was taken was a laptop computer, a Pavilion HP," Schaal said.

Holman suffered the most losses.

"It was my 42-inch plasma TV, which was my gift to myself when I got back from Iraq," Holman said. "I had 80 DVDs taken. So it was like $1,700 worth of DVDs, and a gold ring. And then $300 in cash."

Holman was in Iowa on Saturday and didn't hear about the burglary until late Saturday night.

"My one roommate called me and told me what was going on and I told him to call the police," he said. "They came in, and before they filed the initial report they wanted me to come back and repeat everything that was missing. So I did that and then I called the insurance company and gave them the serial numbers for the TV, the iPod and the laptop."

Capt. Brad Nelson of the Columbia Police Department's Major Crimes Unit said the crimes are under investigation by a major crimes detective. He admits they know little about the burglaries at this moment.

"Well, we did a neighborhood canvass, tried to find people who saw anything, we took some finger prints, but we don't have them back from the lab yet," Nelson said. "We're going to be sending these finger prints to the lab, and looking for the items that have been stolen and often times these pieces will be sold in pawn shops, but basically that's what we do with burglaries."