Column: Carnahan makes a poor pick

On July 8, President Barack Obama will grace Kansas City with his presence in an effort to help Missouri Secretary of State Robin Carnahan raise money for her Senate campaign.

This event could prove to be political suicide for Carnahan, as Obama’s approval ratings in Missouri sit below the national average.

A June 28 Rasmussen poll shows 53 percent of Missourians disapprove of Obama’s performance, while only 47 percent approve. The same day, Rasmussen also released a poll showing Republican candidate, U.S. Rep. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., leading Carnahan 48 percent to 43 percent.

So, as Obama’s approval rating continues to decline across the nation, Robin Carnahan continues to align herself with the far left policies that are so unpopular in Missouri, all while attempting to sidestep the tough questions.

First of all, the health care bill is exceedingly unpopular, especially in Missouri. Rasmussen states 61 percent of Missourians polled favor repeal of the legislation, yet Carnahan continues to sidestep the issue. She regurgitates the same Democratic talking points that went into the legislation, but refuses to state outright either her support or opposition to the bill. Her silence on the issue speaks for itself, as she tries to downplay her very unpopular opinion.

EMILY’s List, an organization dedicated to electing pro-choice Democrat women to office, endorses Carnahan. Although I do not find being pro-choice to be an unusual trait among Democrats, EMILY’s List goes much farther than many Democrats would even agree with.

In fact, EMILY’s List will only endorse candidates that support partial-birth abortion “rights,” despite the fact it was banned in 2003 under former President George W. Bush and the ban was upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court in 2007, EMILY’s List (and Carnahan) continue to insist on the “right” to this horrifying procedure. One needs only to look up the manner in which the procedure is performed to understand why it was banned.

Additionally, Carnahan has many ties with organizations such as ACORN. In 2009, more than 1,400 pages of e-mails between ACORN and Carnahan’s office were uncovered.

ACORN, which has lost its tax-exempt status and its partnership with the U.S. Census Bureau after numerous criminal allegations, even went so far as to describe its relationship with Carnahan as “a great team effort.”

When it comes down to it, Carnahan is just too liberal for Missouri. Although Gov. Jay Nixon easily won the governor’s seat in 2008 as a Democrat, the state still went for John McCain in the presidential election. Missouri has the potential to go either way, blue or red, and is not one for extremes.

As Carnahan makes appearances alongside Obama, sidesteps the tough issues, earns the approval of radical pro-abortion groups and entangles herself with groups such as ACORN, she further alienates herself from the moderate Missouri electorate.

Missourians and Americans in general are not looking for the same vague, politically minded statements that got Barack Obama elected. They want real solutions and straightforward answers, and Carnahan simply cannot provide either.

In an election cycle when anti-establishment tendencies are already running high, Carnahan is setting herself up for a slaughter at the polls in November.