Columbia man charged in McDonald's murder

Hallsville resident William Clinch has been accused of shooting and killing his former brother-in-law, Jeremy Bohannon, on Sunday in front of the McDonald's restaurant on Clark Lane.

The shooting occurred about four miles from the MU campus.

Bohannon came to the McDonald's for a scheduled supervised visit with his three children.

"Clinch and Bohannon had a long history of feuding," Columbia Police Department Capt. Brad Nelson said.

According to court documents, "(Clinch) after deliberation, knowingly caused the death of Jeremy Bohannon by shooting him."

Clinch is accused of shooting Bohannon "multiple times in the head and in the leg" with a semiautomatic handgun, according to court documents.

In April 2006, Clinch hid inside Bohannon's home and waited to kill him, but Bohannon did not come home that evening, according to court documents.

In May 2007, Clinch filed documentation that claimed Bohannon threatened to kill him.

The case was filed June 4, 2007, and was classified as adult abuse without stalking, according to court documents.

Clinch was awarded a full order of protection issued for a year.

Bohannon was not allowed on Clinch's property in Columbia, and Clinch was ordered not to threaten or stalk Bohannon. The order was set to expire in June 2008.

The shooting occurred around 5:15 p.m., and a Boone County officer and a highway patrol officer arrived on the scene about a minute after the first call, Nelson said. Clinch was found with a semiautomatic handgun in his possession.

The day before the incident, Clinch visited a shooting range with the murder weapon, which caused police to believe the crime was premeditated, Nelson said.

Clinch was arrested on charges of first-degree murder and armed criminal activity.

Nelson said Clinch did not say much when he was arrested after the shooting.

Boone County Prosecutor Dan Knight charged Clinch with "felony of murder in the first degree by, with and through the use, assistance and aid of a deadly weapon," the court documents stated. Knight said his office has not decided whether or not to pursue the death penalty.

"There must be statutory aggravating circumstances to seek the death penalty," Knight said.

Boone County public defender Kevin O'Brien is defending Clinch. O'Brien was unavailable for comment.

Clinch was arraigned Tuesday afternoon and is being held in Boone County Jail on a $5 million cash-only bond.

Clinch is being tried in the 13th Circuit Court, which handles crime in both Boone and Calloway counties. Clinch's trial is being presided over by Judge Jodie Asel.

According to the Columbia Police Department there were eight murders committed in Columbia in 2005 and two committed in 2006.