Columbia man pleads guilty to possession of 60 images of child pornography

A Sheriff's Department task force discovered the computer was offering child pornography through a file-sharing service in February.

A Columbia resident pled guilty Monday to possession of child pornography.

On March 2, 2011, more than 60 images of pre-pubescent children were seized from Joseph Kreiser's residence during a court-ordered search warrant, according to a Boone County Sheriff's Department news release. The Boone County Prosecuting Attorney's Office charged Kreiser, 47, with one count of possession of child pornography, and he was arrested June 10, 2011. He has been in jail ever since.

In February 2011, the task force discovered a computer in Columbia that was offering child pornography through a file-sharing service, Gnutella. They then traced the IP address to Kreiser.

Kreiser's sentencing is scheduled for April 16, 2012.

"We didn't actually go to trial, he worked out a plea arrangement," task force coordinator Andy Anderson said. "All the evidence that we had we presented to the defense attorney as we're required to. So we take everything — good, bad, indifferent — and thats what I'm sure they looked over real thoroughly."

Prosecuting Attorney Merilee Crocket could not be reached to find out the details of the plea bargain.

During a previous interview with The Maneater, Detective Tracy Perkins said the punishment varies in these cases.

"Sometimes they get probation (and) they have to complete what they call a sex offender class, like a 120-day class,” Perkins said. “Then sometimes people get years, they don’t even get that option. It varies.”