Columbia shooting suspects found

Investigators are still looking for Hyler, the second suspect in the shooting.
Amanda Bromwich / Graphic Designer

Columbia police believe an Aug. 21 shooting that left one man dead and another injured in Northeast Columbia was drug related.

Investigators have identified two suspects - Antoine Harris, 22, and Clyde Hyler Jr., 31 - in connection with the shooting. Harris is in custody and police have obtained a warrant for Hyler's arrest.

Officers responded to a report of shots fired at 10:54 p.m. Thursday, according to a news release from CPD.

When officers arrived on the scene they located Antonio Flores-Ramirez, a Hispanic male in his early 30s, outside the apartment complex with an apparent gunshot wound. He was declared deceased at the scene. A second victim, Javier Perdoza, was found in an apartment within the complex with an apparent gunshot wound to his chest.

"It appears the two suspects were there to sell drugs but then robbed the victims," Capt. Brad Nelson said.

Perdoza was transported to an area hospital for treatment and was placed in critical condition, according to the release.

Flores-Ramirez has been identified as a citizen of Mexico. It is unknown how long he had lived in Columbia.

Witnesses observed two black males leaving the scene in a blue and silver SUV. The SUV was found by the Fulton Police Department on Friday. Columbia investigators and Fulton police stopped the vehicle at approximately 5 a.m. on Route F near U.S. Highway 54. The occupants of the vehicle were taken into custody and transported to CPD, the release stated.

Antoine Harris, a passenger in the vehicle, was arrested on suspicion of the murder of Flores-Ramirez. During an interview following his arrest, Harris confessed to his involvement in the crime. After his confession he was arrested on suspicion of second-degree murder, first-degree assault, first-degree robbery and armed criminal action.

Investigators identified Hyler as a second suspect in a later news release.

Police obtained a warrant charging him with second-degree murder and first-degree robbery. His bond is set at $1 million for the second-degree murder charge and $1 million for the first-degree robbery.