Constitution Party candidate bases political policy on Bible

Gregory Thompson supports religion in the public sphere.

Gregory Thompson was a superintendent of various schools until he was fired for his beliefs, he said.

Thompson, the Constitution Party's candidate for governor, was serving as superintendent of the Humansville School District when he had a federal lawsuit filed against him for promoting his religious beliefs in the public school.

Thompson said his background as a superintendent would help him as governor.

"I have been given leadership roles all my life," Thompson said. "I have handled multimillion dollar budgets and run a staff."

Thompson posted the Ten Commandments in school and allowed a prayer during a Veteran's Day program. He also kept a Bible, a praying hands statuette and a cross in his office.

When Thompson would not remove any acknowledgement of God, the school board fired him, according to the party's Web site.

Thompson cited the founding fathers and his faith as reasons not to comply.

He became an ordained minister in 2005. As part of his platform, Thompson said religion needs to be brought back to the public.

"I have seen God being taken out of the country and I have seen the damage this is doing to our kids and families," Thompson said.

As governor, Thompson said he would not compromise God's principles.

He said Missouri does not need another politician in office.

"Missouri needs a statesman who serves the people," Thompson said.

As a member of the Constitution Party, Thompson said he would not be controlled by his party as other candidates might be.

"My opponents will be controlled by their parties and rhetoric," Thompson said.