CPD arrest 15-year-old burglary suspect July 3

Suspect may be connected to 15 Columbia burglaries.

Police arrested a 15-year-old Thursday who is suspected in multiple burglaries that occurred in southern Columbia throughout June.

Beat officers recognized a pattern in these burglaries based on the time of day, the location and the method of operation to the burglaries.

The suspect had previously been referred to juvenile authorities for multiple offenses, which aided police in identifying the individual.

Officers arranged a stake out in the affected neighborhoods and arrested the suspect during a burglary that occurred on Old Plank Road, according to a Columbia Police Department news release.

The suspect was taken into custody after a short foot chase.

The suspect was carrying a backpack with stolen property linking him to previous burglaries in the area, the news release stated.

At the time of the suspect’s arrest, police believed the individual was working alone.

Some of the stolen property has been recovered and juvenile investigators will be working on tying the recovered property to the previously reported burglaries, the news release stated.

According to the news release, the effected streets known at this time are Commercial Drive, Tessa Way, Betty Jean Way, Carrieridge Drive, Old Plank Road and Dad’s Way.

The suspect has been turned over to the custody of juvenile authorities.

While the investigation is ongoing, police suspect the juvenile is responsible for approximately 15 burglaries occurring between June 13 and July 3.

Columbia Police Department reported 86 burglaries and 168 Part I property crimes in May, according to the Monthly Crime Brief released by the department. The department reported 148 juvenile arrests that month.