CPD investigates related invasions, Domino's robbery

Police said the crimes are likely related based on descriptions.
Katie Prince / Graphic Designer

Columbia police say they believe the same suspects committed two recent home invasions and a business robbery.

A residence at 707 Old Plank Road, the Domino's Pizza location at 1621 Towne Drive and a residence at 3700 Bent Oak Drive were all robbed between April 19 and Monday.

Columbia Police Department Capt. Brad Nelson said police think the incidents are related based on similar suspect descriptions. Nelson said the suspects were described as wearing similar clothing in all the incidents. A long gun described as either a rifle or shotgun was used in each incident.

Nelson said police are not releasing other similarities in the three crimes because the investigation is ongoing.

In each successive robbery, the suspects' behavior became increasingly aggressive, a CPD news release stated.

The suspects struck a victim with the butt of gun at the robbery at 3700 Bent Oak Drive, Nelson said. The victim sustained minor injuries as a result of the assault but declined medical treatment.

Nelson said the robbery at Old Plank Road was not a random robbery. Instead, it was a case of random identity because the suspects entered the wrong house and called the victims by the wrong names, according to the news release.

The suspects stole electronic devices and an undisclosed amount of cash from the residence. The victims were not injured during the incident, stated a news release from the department.

The robbery at Bent Oak appeared to have been random, the news release stated.

The suspects stole an undisclosed amount of money, electronics and jewelry from this residence, stated another news release from the department.

On Saturday, a Domino's employee was ambushed outside the business. A suspect displayed a shotgun and demanded money but the victim did not have any money, stated another news release from the department.

The victim was told to lie on the ground while the suspects fled the scene and was not injured.

Nelson said the police don't classify business robberies as random because it's hard to tell.

"We do that primarily for the home invasion robberies," Nelson said.

Nelson said that while home invasions are still rare in Columbia, police find they are often committed by the same suspects.