CPD, MUPD gear up for gameday traffic, weather

Getting to the game early is recommended by the departments.

The MU Police Department and the Columbia Police Department are making preparations for traffic and pedestrian congestion during the Missouri versus Nebraska football game.

"We will have people on hand to get people in and out of the game as smoothly as possible," MUPD Capt. Brian Weimer said.

Both MUPD and CPD will have a visible presence on campus and around downtown Columbia in order to keep things running smoothly.

"We will have 15 positions for CPD officers to be stationed for traffic," CPD spokeswoman Jessie Haden said. "They'll be monitoring traffic, standing by to change the cycling of the lights at certain intersections if necessary and also monitoring pedestrian traffic."

Police officers know not even their best efforts can completely eliminate the hassle of game day traffic.

"We've made it very well known that there will be traffic delays and that people should plan accordingly," Weimer said.

Local law enforcement is also preparing for inclement weather predicted for Thursday's game. The National Weather Service's official Web site issued a flash flood warning for Thursday and Thursday night.

Haden said she is crossing her fingers the bad weather holds off but she feels her department is prepared to handle the situation regardless of the weather conditions.

"If we do have heavy storms, it's just all the more reason that we're really glad that we have so many of these intersections covered for both inbound and outbound traffic," Haden said.

In order to have the easiest experience possible, both MUPD and CPD recommend leaving plenty of time to get to the game.

"I know weather affects driving conditions," Haden said. "We just want to urge people to give themselves extra time so they don't feel like they need to be in a hurry."